Terms of Service for domains.ggc.edu
Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) provides the Domain of One’s Own (domains.ggc.edu) service to students and faculty for the purpose of supporting course and program learning outcomes. The service is supported by Information Technology (IT) in cooperation with the third-party service provider, Reclaim Hosting.
Students and faculty using domains.ggc.edu to support course and program learning outcomes must be aware of and agree to the following:
- domains.ggc.edu provides users with a domain name and web hosting. Users (faculty, staff, and students) are responsible for creating sites and installing open-source software. IT does not provide assistance with site development, programming, or software installation. Users may engage with the service provider’s community forum. IT will assist with account management and account ownership.
- Any work published using domains.ggc.edu may be browsed or viewed by anyone on the web.
- domains.ggc.edu is provided for academic use. Users may not use the services to solicit or collect any funds, use the services for commercial purposes, or solicit or collect funds for any charitable, community, or professional organization.
- Users of domains.ggc.edu are expected to abide by all federal and state law (including copyright and intellectual property law) as well as all GGC policies and standards including but not limited to:
- The owner of the account is responsible for all content that is posted to the account.
- The owner of the account may not use GGC logos without the written consent of the Associate Vice President for Communications.
- While GGC does not routinely monitor the content posted by users, we reserve the right to remove any content and close any account that is found to be in violation of any law, policy, or these Terms of Service. If a user’s content is being investigated for violation of laws or policies, we will suspend a user’s access to the account and hide that content until the investigation is complete.
- GGC may make changes or terminate the services provided at any time. GGC will attempt to provide users with an opportunity to take personal ownership: which would include transitioning to their own domain (burden of that cost is on the user) and exporting all their content if the domains.ggc.edu service should end.
- GGC reserves the right to remove any content stored on domains.ggc.edu after the account owner is no longer affiliated with the college.
- Services may be interrupted for maintenance and other updates, but we will attempt to notify users of scheduled downtime.
- Services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Status of services is available via status.ggc.edu
Student Specific Details
- Students receive one account and one free subdomain.
- Students may create multiple directories within their account.
- Student accounts are only available while the student is affiliated with the college:
- Students are responsible for managing their own domain and content. Student may initiate transfers of their content to other hosting providers.
- Graduates: Students graduating from GGC will have 30 days after grades are due for their final semester to transfer their domains.ggc.edu content. Students are responsible for managing their own domain and content. Communications and reminders will not be provided. After 30 days accounts and all content will be deleted.
- Inactive Students: Students who have not enrolled in courses for 3 consecutive semesters will have their account and all content deleted. Students are responsible for managing their own domain and content. Communications and reminders will not be provided.
- No Activity: Students who have not logged in to domains.ggc.edu for 3 consecutive semesters will have their account suspended. This applies to students who are still enrolled in courses.
Faculty and Staff Specific Details
- Faculty and staff domains.ggc.edu accounts may only be used to support teaching, learning, and research activities.
- Faculty and staff domains.ggc.edu account may not be used to support administrative activities, personal content, professional profiles, department websites/blogs, or charitable, community, or professional organizations.
- Faculty and staff receive one account and one free subdomain.
- Faculty and staff may create multiple directories within their account.
- Faculty and staff accounts are only available while the employee is affiliated with the college:
- Employees must transfer their content to another hosting platform or request a change in account ownership prior to their last day of employment.
- Employee accounts and content will be deleted 30 days after the last day of employment.